Romano Vineyard Way

History of Romano Vineyard Way

 

Davisville used to be home to the thriving, 370-acre Romano Farm and Vineyards. Wild grapes still grow on the beaches south of Quonset. The Romano family purchased the North Kingstown land in 1908, adding to it during the next few decades and eventually establishing 100 acres of grape arbors and fruit trees (peach, apple, cherry and pear). The boundaries were Old Post Road and what are now known as Newcomb Road and Camp Avenue.

Four years after purchase, the vineyard and winery were up and running, selling wine for $.50 a gallon before the Depression. The majority of the Romano family lived in a farmhouse located where the Shell station now stands. During Prohibition they sold “sacramental wine” to churches and synagogues, and wine for “medicinal” purposes.After Prohibition, the vineyard made approximately 100,000 gallons of wine per year until 1939, when the U.S. Government seized the land by eminent domain for the military facility that would become the U.S.Naval Air Station Quonset Point.

 

 

 

Click here to view Romano Vineyard Way coverage.